Did you know that strawberries are not technically berries? Berries have their seeds on the inside. But, strawberries have their seeds on the outside. Technically, it is each tiny seed that is the “fruit” of the strawberry plant (and a single strawberry can have up to 200 seeds)! The yummy, fleshy part that we eat is just the receptacle for the “fruit.” Fascinating! Strawberry season is moving north, so while we’ve all been enjoying the strawberries from our Northern Neck, Virginia, farmers — Barajas and Linda Vista, — our Pennsylvania vendors — Twin Springs and Kuhn Orchards — have strawberries coming in season now too. So, more strawberries for everyone!! Come and get ’em at Barrett Elementary School on Saturday, June 5, from 8 a.m. to noon. And don’t forget your pre-orders for Saturday pickup! We’ll see you at the Market!
Market Policy Reminders:
- Face coverings are recommended for all persons in the market.
- Please don’t come to the market if you are unwell or at high-risk.
- Wash your hands thoroughly as soon as you return home.
- If you have any concerns, don’t hesitate to ask one of the market managers.
An interactive Market Map for each week of the Market is always available here.
Pre-Order at Lubber Run To Go!!
One-Stop Shopping from Multiple Vendors
for Saturday Pick-up!
Or click below for easy-access links and please note any applicable ordering deadlines on each site. And, remember, all vendors will have pre-packaged, grab-and-go goods available! Happy shopping!
NOTE: The following vendors do not currently have on-line pre-order capabilities but will be at the Market with grab-and-go products available:
The Farmer Market hosts an AFAC Collection Box every week! Please consider bringing along extra canned goods to drop off or purchasing fresh produce at the Market to donate! Together, we can feed Arlington!
RECIPE OF THE WEEK
Popovers with Strawberry Butter
Too much of a good thing? Eyes bigger than your stomach? Strawberry Butter is a great way to use up those overripe strawberries.
FOR WHIPPED STRAWBERRY BUTTER:
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup mashed fresh strawberries
- 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 12 even pieces
FOR WHIPPED STRAWBERRY BUTTER:
- In stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, whip softened butter with mashed strawberries and powdered sugar until well blended, about 3 minutes.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for later use.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, milk, eggs, salt and melted butter until it is the consistency of heavy cream.
- Place empty 12-cup popover pan (or muffin tin) in oven for 2 minutes to heat it.
- Remove heated pan and place one cube of butter in each cup.
- Divide batter into cups, filling each half full.
- Bake popovers for 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 300ºF and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove popovers from oven and serve immediately with prepared butter.
JOIN US AS A VOLUNTEER!!
The Lubber Run Farmers Market needs you! The Market thrives with community support, not just from its shoppers but also its volunteers. Find out how you can help! Click below! Click here to sign-up!