There is asparagus to spare at the Farmers Market this week! So much so that Kuhn Orchards is giving away samples — free mini bunches of asparagus for you to try (while supplies last). Discounts too! On asparagus and rhubarb — and there should be strawberries — so it is definitely time to take that strawberry-rhubarb pie recipe out of the drawer! Yum! Do some sampling at Barrett Elementary School on Saturday, May 21, between 8:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. And don’t forget your pre-orders for Saturday pick-up! We’ll see you at the Market!
NEW VENDOR PROFILE
Welcome, Setas Mushrooms, to the Lubber Run Farmers Market! In January 2020, Setas Mushrooms opened its doors at Falling Waters, West Virginia, with the short-term goal of delivering fresh, dried, jarred, and specialty mushrooms straight to the consumer. And so they do! Visit their Market tent for a variety of fresh and dried mushrooms as well as grow kits and mushroom jerky. While picking up your fungi, ask Setas about their fascinating long-term goal — to reduce the amount of plastic and reliance on resource-constrained material in the world using mycelium as packing material, as building material, and as space material (think satellites). Wow!
WE HAVE SWAG!!!
2022 Market Map
An interactive Market Map for each week of the Market is always available here.
The fan favorite way to shop the Farmers Market is back! Check out Lubber Run to Go! Order and pay ahead of time and pick up at the Market on Saturday morning! No need to worry if the things you need will be available — so you can focus on shopping for the things you want!
Be sure to take note of applicable ordering deadlines included in the site’s vendor descriptions.
Pre-Order at Lubber Run To Go!!
One-Stop Shopping from Multiple Vendors
for Saturday Pick-up!
Or click below for easy-access links and please note any applicable ordering deadlines on each site. And, remember, all vendors will have pre-packaged, grab-and-go goods available! Happy shopping!
NOTE: The following vendors do not currently have on-line pre-order capabilities but will be at the Market with grab-and-go products available:
The Farmer Market hosts an AFAC Collection Box every week! Please consider bringing along extra canned goods to drop off or purchasing fresh produce at the Market to donate! Together, we can feed Arlington!
RECIPE OF THE WEEK
Tacos Mushroom Carnita
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 small onion,sliced
- 1 pound of fresh Oyster Mushrooms, shredded
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup of fresh orange juice
- corn tortillas
- 1 diced jalapeño (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
This week’s recipe courtesy of Setas Mushrooms!
|1. Preheat oven to 400°F|
2. Toss the shredded mushrooms in cumin, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Spread evenly on a baking tray.
3. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 400°F until the mushrooms are chewy with crispy ends. Stir at 10 minutes for even cooking.
4. Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat and add the remaining tablespoon of oil along with the onion, garlic and jalapeño (optional). Sauté until soft and lightly caramelized. (8-10 minutes)
5. Add the baked mushrooms, orange juice and worcesterchire sauce. Include salt and pepper. Sauté until the juice is absorbed, stirring just once or twice to allow the mushrooms to crisp on a couple of sides. (5 minutes)
6. Add the mix to the tortillas and enjoy!
JOIN US AS A VOLUNTEER!!
The Lubber Run Farmers Market needs you! The Market thrives with community support, not just from its shoppers but also its volunteers. Find out how you can help! Click below! Click here to sign-up!