We’re fast coming up to the end of the Lubber Run market season, with only two market days left in 2021. But, don’t fret, we’ll be back in April 2022 and, in the meantime, those wishing to continue enjoyment of seasonal local fruits, vegetables, and other produced foods are encouraged to shop at the Westover Farmers Market. That year-round market on Sunday mornings is located in front of the Westover Library at 1644 N. McKinley Road in Arlington. Its hours December through April are 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. Many Lubber Run vendors also sell at Westover either part or all of the winter season, so you can still find your favorites:
Barajas Produce● Cold Country Salmon ● Dimitri Olive Farms ● Faerie Springs Farm ● For the Love of Goodies ● Great Valley Farms ● Harmony Hill Farm ● Hog Haven Farm ● King Mushrooms ● Linda Vista Farm ● Ozfeka Catering ● The Fermented Pig● Twin Springs Fruit Farm
Both markets are operated by Field to Table, Inc., an Arlington non-profit. Please continue to support our local farmers in the mid-Atlantic region and other regional food producers and keep putting healthy food on your tables throughout the winter! But, first, come see us in our waning days! Visit Barrett Elementary School on Saturday, November 13, between 8:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. And don’t forget your pre-orders for Saturday pick-up! We’ll see you at the Market!
Market Policy Reminders:
- Face coverings are recommended for all persons in the market.
- Please don’t come to the market if you are unwell or at high-risk.
- Wash your hands thoroughly as soon as you return home.
- If you have any concerns, don’t hesitate to ask one of the market managers.
An interactive Market Map for each week of the Market is always available here.
Check out Lubber Run to Go! Order and pay ahead of time and pick up at the Market on Saturday morning! No need to worry if the things you need will be available — so you can focus on shopping for the things you want!
Be sure to take note of applicable ordering deadlines included in the site’s vendor descriptions.
Or click below for easy-access links and please note any applicable ordering deadlines on each site. And, remember, all vendors will have pre-packaged, grab-and-go goods available! Happy shopping!
NOTE: The following vendors do not currently have on-line pre-order capabilities but will be at the Market with grab-and-go products available:
RECIPE OF THE WEEK
Quince Cranberry and Persimmon Crisp
- 2 pounds quince, peeled, cored, chopped
- 2 pounds Fuyu Persimmon, peeled, chopped
- 1 pound cranberries, fresh or frozen ( If frozen, do not thaw)
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup + 4 tablespoon + 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon + 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon + 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon + 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup quick cooking rolled oats
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cold cut into cubes
- Lightly grease a 2 quart baking pan, or 9×13 pan. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In medium saucepan, combine quince, 3 cups water, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/2 cup maple syrup. Bring to boil then simmer until quince are pierced with a fork, but still firm, about 8-10 min.
- Drain and place quince in large mixing bowl. Add persimmon and cranberries.
- Pour lemon juice and 4 tbsp maple syrup over fruit and stir, then add 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp cardamom, and 1/4 tsp nutmeg, and stir well. Pour into prepared pan in an even layer.
- In separate bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, salt, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp cardamom, and 1/4 tsp nutmeg. Mix well. Add butter and 2 tsp maple syrup and mix with hands, fork, or pastry blender until the entire mixture is moist and holds shape when squeezed together.
- Evenly distribute topping over fruit. Cover pan with foil and bake for 30 min. Remove foil and bake another 10 min or until bubbly and topping is starting to turn golden.
- Remove from oven and let sit 10 min. Serve hot with vanilla ice cream.
Recipe from pineappleandcoconut.com
JOIN US AS A VOLUNTEER!!
The Lubber Run Farmers Market needs you! The Market thrives with community support, not just from its shoppers but also its volunteers. Find out how you can help! Click below! Click here to sign-up!