Oh, the blackberry! The Farmers Market’s blackberries will spoil you forever when it comes to Did you know that the tomato was the original inspiration for all the fairy tales about poison apples? Tomatoes are so acidic that they would leach lead out of the pewter plates used by the ruling classes and cause lead poisoning (the lower classes, who ate on wooden plates, were spared!). Thankfully, we all evolved past pewter plates! Can you imagine summer without tomatoes? Beefsteak, roma, cherry, grape, heirloom, whichever you prefer, you will find them at Barrett Elementary School on Saturday, August 21, from 8 a.m. to noon. And don’t forget your pre-orders for Saturday pickup! We’ll see you at the Market!
Market Policy Reminders:
- Face coverings are recommended for all persons in the market.
- Please don’t come to the market if you are unwell or at high-risk.
- Wash your hands thoroughly as soon as you return home.
- If you have any concerns, don’t hesitate to ask one of the market managers.
An interactive Market Map for each week of the Market is always available here.
Pre-Order at Lubber Run To Go!!
One-Stop Shopping from Multiple Vendors
for Saturday Pick-up!
Or click below for easy-access links and please note any applicable ordering deadlines on each site. And, remember, all vendors will have pre-packaged, grab-and-go goods available! Happy shopping!
NOTE: The following vendors do not currently have on-line pre-order capabilities but will be at the Market with grab-and-go products available:
The Farmer Market hosts an AFAC Collection Box every week! Please consider bringing along extra canned goods to drop off or purchasing fresh produce at the Market to donate! Together, we can feed Arlington!
RECIPE OF THE WEEK
- 6 large tomatoes about 3 pounds
- ¾ pound Italian sausage
- 1 onion finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup white wine
- 3½ tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Rinse tomatoes and cut tops off.
- Using a spoon, scrape out insides of tomato. Chop insides and tops.
- Cook sausage, onion, and garlic in skillet until no pink remains. Drain fat.
- Add tomato tops, white wine, tomato paste, salt, and Italian seasoning. Cook an additional 5 minutes or until most liquid has evaporated. Stir in rice and cook until heated through.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons mozzarella cheese and 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese for topping. Stir remaining mozzarella and parmesan into rice mixture.
- Place tomatoes in baking dish and fill with rice mixture (extra filling can be placed in pan next to tomatoes if desired). Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until tomatoes are cooked and filling is heated through. Do not overcook.
Recipe from spendwithpennies.com
JOIN US AS A VOLUNTEER!!
The Lubber Run Farmers Market needs you! The Market thrives with community support, not just from its shoppers but also its volunteers. Find out how you can help! Click below! Click here to sign-up!